Fire Dept. Urges Caution in Slippery Weather
The Lexington Fire Department wants to remind everyone to be careful during the winter weather by taking these steps:
1. Take it slow: If you see snow, take it slow. Walk slowly and allow extra time to get to your destination.
2. Look before you step: Test potentially slick areas by tapping your foot on them. Don’t be deceived by pavement that appears to be clear.
3. Use handrails: Keep your hands free by avoiding carrying items if possible. Instead, use your hands to steady yourself and hold handrails.
4. Wear boots or shoes with appropriate treads: Rubber and Neoprene Composite soles are good. Avoid plastic or leather soles.
5. Remain cautious even indoors: Often indoor surfaces are more hazardous because of snow and water that accumulates near entrances.