Commonwealth of Kentucky vs. Gov. Matt Bevin underway

FRANKFORT, Ky. (WTVQ) – A court hearing is underway over an order by Governor Bevin cutting money to state colleges and universities.

On Wednesday, Governor Matt Bevin restored some of the money he had previously ordered cut.  Originally, Governor Bevin had ordered a four and a half percent cut in state funding during the current fiscal year.  He says he reduced some cuts after an agreement negotiated with college and university presidents.

Attorney General Andy Beshear is suing Bevin, saying any of the proposed cuts are beyond Governor Bevin’s legal authority.

Bevin restored all funding for Kentucky State University after KSU said the cuts could force it to close.  The University of Kentucky released a statement that said the restoration of funds reflects the “spirit of partnership that we want to have with policymakers.”

Meanwhile, Eastern Kentucky University is waiting to see what the courts say about Bevin’s original executive order.

Bevin has asked a judge to dismiss the suit.

Categories: News, State News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *