Veteran’s Home Destroyed in Georgetown Fire

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – A Vietnam-era Air Force veteran’s home was completely destroyed in a fire early Friday morning in Georgetown.

The Scott County Fire Department say the flames began around 5:00 a.m. in the back of the home on Iron Works Pike.

The couple living at the home say they saw fire and heard the smoke alarm go off. Two passersby also spotted the flames and helped the couple to vacate the home safely.

Relatives looked on as the fire department put out hot spots.

The home, along with several vehicles, were destroyed in the fire.

Batallion Chief Craig Wink says the smoke detectors were critical in saving the lives of the couple.

“I did hear a family member say the wife heard the smoke detectors and that’s what got her up.” says Wink.  “Had they not had them it could have been a disastrous outcome.”

According to the fire department, the couple was okay and did not need medical attention.

They are staying with neighbors at the moment.

Categories: Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *