UPDATE: No Smoke Detector Found In Belmont Park Fire

A spokesperson for the Lexington Fire Department said no smoke detectors were found at an apartment fire Sunday night at Belmont Park Apartments.
 
They said a passerby was walking along Etawah Drive around 11 p.m. when they noticed smoke coming from a window.
 
Fire crews said they were able to get the flames out quickly after they arrived.
 
A man, woman and child who live in the apartment were not home at the time, but a dog was found locked in a bathroom and rescued, according to neighbors.
 
Firefighters said everyone in the complex was ordered to evacuate. Except for those living in the unit where the fire began, everyone was able to return to their apartments a couple of hours later.
 
The man, woman and child are being put up by the American Red Cross.
 
According to investigators, no smoke detectors were found inside their apartment, and there’s no clear cause on how the fire started.
 
Maurion Watson, a neighbor, was just thankful no one was hurt, saying, "By the grace of God, everybody was safe and everybody still has a place."

Categories: Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *