UK HealthCare Amends Policy to Protect Against Flu
The changes are impacting all of UK’s medical locations, including University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital, Kentucky Children’s Hospital and UK Good Samaritan Hospital.
The new, temporary guidelines include:
• No visitors under the age of 18
• No visitors with any flu-like symptoms
• Only two visitors will be allowed in a patient’s room at one time
• Visitors may be issued masks or other protective clothing to use while visiting
• Additional restrictions may be in place in special care units, such as women’s and children’s units, critical care, and oncology units
• Compassionate visitation exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis
Flu-like symptoms can include fever, coughing, a sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headaches, chills, and fatigue.
Hospital officials said flu antiviral drugs can be used to treat symptoms and work best if they are taken within two days of getting sick.
They also recommend a flu shot for everyone at least six months old.
Leave a Reply