U.S. Postal Service asks customers to clear areas around mailboxes
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Postal officials are asking customers to help out their mail carrier during the snow.
The U.S. Postal Service asks customers to do the following so letter carriers are able to deliver mail.
* Clear enough snow from curbside boxes to allow mail trucks to approach the box, deliver the mail and to drive away from the box without danger of the need for backing.
* Walkways should be cleared of snow and ice and allow enough traction to avoid slips, trips or falls.
* Steps should also be kept clear of ice and snow and in good repair so as not to cause injury to the letter carriers or others who visit the customer’s home.
* Overhangs should be clear and free of snow and ice to avoid injury.
* Residents who receive delivery to roadside mailboxes also must keep the approach to, and exit from, the mailbox clear of snow or any other obstacles, like trash cans and other vehicles. The carrier needs to get in, and then out, without leaving the vehicle or backing up.