TIPS: Preventing fires caused by home heating appliances

GEORGETOWN, Ky. (WTVQ) – During cold weather, you’re probably using some kind of at-home heating source, like a fireplace or space heater.

If you’re not careful, those appliances can easily start fires.

Last Friday, Georgetown firefighters responded to a fire at JLS Mini Storage, caused by a space heater.

Georgetown Fire Marshal Tim Thompson says if you’re using a space heater, make sure to keep it on the floor where it can’t get knocked over.

Thompson says never to put cords under rugs or furniture, since the cords themselves get hot.

The biggest thing, he says, it that you plug the space heater directly into a wall, not an extension cord.

But, Thompson says no matter how many precautions you take, accidents happen. That’s why he urges you to have working smoke detectors, and a plan, in case of emergency.

“Stay low in a fire if there’s smoke,” said Thompson. “Know your ways out of the home, have two ways out. Have working smoke detectors. Those basic things that we teach kids apply to us as well, so go over that with your family. It doesn’t take long to do and it could save a life.”

Thompson says the most important thing is to always be prepared.

Categories: Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *