State transportation department says to be cautious of black ice
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – The state warns as the cold weather continues, including light snow, to be cautious of black ice.
In case of a crash:
- if no one is visibly injured, move your vehicle to the shoulder or off of the interstate or parkway
- call the police
- exchange information with the other party
If your car is disabled:
- move your vehicle off the roadway if possible
- turn on emergency flashers
- to request aid — tie something white or bright to your antenna or window or raise the hood
- if you are unable to move your vehicle from the roadway — stand away from the vehicle
- keep your arms and legs moving to stay warm
To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning if trapped in snow — keep the exhaust pipe clear. Run your vehicle with the windows partially open and use the heat for 10 minutes every hour.