Police: Man lied about being in military

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – A man was arrested after police say he stole from two different charities for veterans by pretending to be a wounded marine.

Jefferey Alcorn claimed he was a wounded Marine suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder from his deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq, according to police reports obtained by ABC 36 News.

But, police say, Alcorn never served in the military.

According to the reports, he falsified documents to get a service dog, from the organization Paws4Life, to deal with his PTSD. The trained service dog, he was given, was valued at $2,500.00.

According to the police report, Alcorn also falsified documents to the Veteran’s Airlift Command to pay $2,700.00 for the flight to and from Georgia to pick up the service dog.

Alcorn was arrested Saturday afternoon at Blue Grass Airport after he returned from picking up the dog, police says.

ABC 36 News crews headed to Alcorn’s home address listed on the police report, two American flags stood in the front yard. No one answered.

We also tried a few telephone numbers listed on the police report and on the For Sale sign in the front yard, but all of the numbers went to voicemail.

Neighbors we talked to say Alcorn used to talk about his military duty and, at one time, had a Marine Corps flag flying at the home. Neighbors say he also had a Marine license plate.

All of the neighbors said they were in shock after hearing the news on his arrest.

The Stolen Valor blog This Ain’t Hell exposed Alcorn back in January. The website filed Freedom of Information Acts with the National Personnel Records Center, and received responses that Alcorn was never found in any of their records.

According to police reports, Alcorn admitted to Blue Grass Airport police officers that he never served in the military and this had all started with a small lie that "snowballed.”

He faces two counts of theft by deception. Police sources tell ABC 36 News that the FBI is also investigating for charges of Stolen Valor.

As of Sunday night, Alcorn was listed in critical condition at Baptist Health Richmond’s ICU, the hospital confirmed to ABC 36 News. Because of privacy laws, they could not tell us why he was in the hospital.

Categories: Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *