People Temporarily Displaced By Downtown Richmond Fire
A fire in downtown Richmond from Tuesday has closed some businesses and temporarily displaced those living in apartments.
Wednesday morning there was no roof on the Emmons and Company, INC, upstairs office at 232 W Main St, Richmond, KY.
A wooden deck on top of The Lofts apartment complex looked like charcoal. Lawn furniture was lying on the ground, melted by heat.
People who lived in The Lofts apartments can not go home.
There were red condemned signs on the doors of two Main Street businesses. One was a store, the other, the Mexi Hollywood restaurant.
Richmond fire chief Buzzy Campbell said that’s because of damage caused by the fire. He said the city’s codes enforcement department made the official call, but the buildings should be able to reopen after repairs are made.
Tuesday night a few apartment residents were able to grab some items from their homes, but they can not stay there Wednesday night.
"I have a place to stay its just not a place of my own. I was 80 feet to walk home, close to where I work. I had people offer a place to stay I have a good support system as for covering a place to stay," said Dustin Stevenson.
Business owners said they are grateful to the firefighters. They said these buildings had been there since 1860, and it’s a good thing they are still standing.
Kristen Purdy, the owner of Purdy’s Coffee Shop and Purdy’s Embroidery is starting fundraising efforts for those affected by the fire.
The coffee shop has a donation jar and the embroidery shop will sell t-shirts. There also is a donation account set up at U.S. Bank.