Neighbor says “mushroom cloud of flames” destroyed family-owned business

MOUNT STERLING, Ky. (WTVQ)- The Montgomery County Fire Department says propane tanks are to blame for an overnight explosion that burned a family business to the ground.

A neighbor off Van Thompson Road in Mount Sterling says he woke up around 1 a.m. Thursday after hearing a loud boom.

He says he looked outside and that’s when he saw his neighbors business up in flames.

“It looked like a mushroom cloud of flames going up,” said Deron Sexton.

Sexton lives right next door to Caudill Truss and Metal.

“Great business. I mean they got trucks going in and out of here all day long,” said Sexton.

But then in the middle of the night Thursday, Sexton says he heard a loud noise.

“At first I thought it was like a shotgun shot and started looking through the windows and saw the place burning. I jumped on the phone and dialed 9-1-1,” said Sexton.

Sexton says it took just minutes for firefighters to get there.

“But by the time they got here it was already engulfed in flames,” said Sexton.

The Montgomery County Fire Department says it believes several propane tanks exploded inside the business destroying the building.

“I hate it for john and them. It just ruins them,” said Sexton.

Sexton says the business is family-owned and knows how hard this must be for them.

“Hopefully, the insurance will get straightened out and maybe they can rebuild but their business is going to be shutdown for a while and that’s their livelihood you know,” said Sexton.

Kentucky state police were on scene Thursday morning assessing the damage and talking to neighbors.

They say their investigation is still ongoing.

Categories: Featured, Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *