UPDATE: Community responds to help family who lost everything in fire


LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – The community is rallying to help the Vij family which lost their two pet dogs and their belongings in a house fire early Friday afternoon in the Beaumont area of Lexington.

“Sunder Vij (Sunny) and his family are overwhelmed and grateful at the outpouring of support and kindness shown by the community of neighbors and friends,” a post on the Nextdoor neighborhood app said.

“We are coordinating an effort to add leaves to the donor tree at the Humane Society to honor and remember their beloved family dogs, Jack and Jackson. A box will be available at his restaurant, Masala, in Beaumont ,through Saturday 12/19/20. Letters, cards and other tokens of support are welcome,” according to the post.

Vij has owned the restaurant for more than a decade.

Checks can be made to the Humane Society or can be made on line at: https://lexingtonhumanesociety.org/give-love https://lexingtonhumanesociety.org/donor-tree-leaf#


LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – A family lost everything, including two pet dogs, in a house fire that started at about noon Friday and engulfed the 3,800-square-foot, two-story brick residence.

The call came in at 12:07 p.m., according to Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Chris Ward, and the first unit arrived five minutes later at the home at 2269 Savannah Lane. The home was full engulfed.

Smoke from the fire could be seen from miles away.

“We weren’t even able to make entry into the house it was so far gone. It was through the roof,” Ward said.

Ward said the family was not home when the fire started.

Ward said two pets died in the fire.

Neighbors spotted it and called 9-1-1. Neighbors said the fire was so hot they knocked on doors to make sure other residents got out in case the flames spread.

Crews attacked the house from the ground and above, using two ladder trucks. The roof eventually caved in on the two-story brick home.

They described the family is quiet and thought they were in the restaurant business.

“No one was home which was good. I don’t know how it started, but I’m really glad everyone is OK,” said next-door neighbor Megan Zhu, who was one of those who left her home with her brother when neighbors alerted them to the fire.

Fire inspectors spent the afternoon looking for a cause. That process could continue into Saturday, Ward said. Firefighters remained on the scene doing clean up well into the afternoon and evening.

Categories: Featured, Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *