Kentuckians can donate used Christmas trees to help wildlife
FRANKFORT, Ky. (WTVQ) – Kentuckians looking to get rid of their Christmas tree after the holidays can do so in an environmentally-friendly way.
The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will collect used trees to give underwater animals new homes during its annual “Christmas for the Fishes” program.
The department says it will place the trees in lakes throughout the state to provide fish attractors.
Officials say this adds food sources and protective cover for aquatic species.
The collection will be held at 39 locations and will start on December 26.
The drop-off will continue until mid-January.
All lights, tinsel, ornaments, and any other decorations must be removed from donated trees.
To find the closest drop-off location, visit fw.ky.gov.
Drop-off sites are generally open during daylight hours and are not staffed.
Also if you need a place to take those lights from the tree that are dimming or have a few bulbs out, the city of Lexington wants them.
The city says last year there were more than 1,500 pounds of lights collected and recycled through the program.
You can drop off broken or unwanted holiday lights, including string lights, rope lights, and electric candles.at any of the collection bins.
There are twelve different drop-off locations available from now until Sunday, January 12th:
- Broomwagon Coffee + Bikes (800 North Limestone)
- Chevy Chase Hardware (883 East High Street)
- Crank & Boom – Distillery District (1210 Manchester Street)
- Crank & Boom – The Summit at Fritz Farm (119 Marion Street)
- Gainesway Community Center (3460 Campus Way)
- Good Foods Co-Op (455-D Southland Drive)
- Government Center (200 East Main Street)
- Kenwick Community Center (313 Owsley Avenue)
- Lexington Senior Center (195 Life Lane)
- Pivot Brewing (1400 Delaware Avenue)
- Third Street Stuff (257 North Limestone)
- West Sixth Brewing (501 West Sixth Street)
The city says they’re also accepting extension cords, timers, light sensors, power strips, and other small electronics.