Gov. Beshear comments on prosecutors decision to not seek charges in Guard shooting

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WTVQ) – Louisville’s top criminal prosecutor said he will not pursue charges against Louisville police or National Guard members in the fatal shooting of David McAtee.

The barbecue cook was killed at his restaurant last year during intense protests in the city. Authorities were seen on video trying to enforce a curfew and dispurse a crowd. After police fired pepper balls toward him and his niece, McAtee fired two rounds from a handgun. He was fatally shot by a National Guard member.

Governor Andy Beshear was asked about the outcome Tuesday during a news conference.

“First, it’s tragic any time a life is lost. Mr. McAtee was loved by the community in which he lived. I believe that the public should be able to see the full analysis of Tom Wine. I believe that it is very thorough but presents a lot of information that the public can then analyze and ultimately come to their own conclusions,” said Gov. Beshear.

Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney Tom Wine released a 24-page review Tuesday, saying he would not present the case to a grand jury. You can view the report, HERE.

You can read more of the backstory HERE.

Categories: Featured, News, State News