UPDATE: Search for truck theft suspects puts Frederick Douglass High on ‘heightened alert,’ delays dismissal

The search was unrelated to the school but happened on the campus leading to the precautionary measures

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Lexington’s Frederick Douglass High School was placed on “heightened alert” Tuesday afternoon and dismissal was delayed while Lexington Police searched for truck theft suspects outside the school.

The school district says the search was unrelated to the school.

Lexington Police say officers spotted a pickup truck on Winchester Road that was reported stolen.  Police say a man and woman abandoned the pickup by the high school and took off running.  Police say they gave chase, set up a suspect search perimeter, brought in K9’s and the department’s helicopter.

Since the search was outside the school, as a precaution the school went on heightened alert, meaning no one could leave the secured building until given the okay by law enforcement.

The incident led the school to delay dismissal, which is normally at 3:15 p.m.

Police say they arrested the female suspect who was a passenger in the stolen pickup truck on nearby Sir Barton Way.  The man police say was driving the stolen vehicle was still on the loose.  Shortly after 3:30 p.m., law enforcement gave the school permission to resume normal activities.

Dismissal began with students being let out one hallway at a time.  Bus riders were escorted to the buses by police.  Car riders and drivers were escorted to their vehicles by staff members.

The school system says everyone at the school was safe and secure throughout the incident.

ABC 36 News talked to Eric Thomas at the scene.  He’s the sales manager at Patriot RV.  He says the pickup truck was stolen from the business.

“Thank goodness we got our truck back.  Business as usual.  I was just hoping it wasn’t in the shape it’s in right now.  It has sustained damage.  It looks like the driver’s side mirror has been damaged.  The driver’s side bed portion of the truck, the running board.  I’d say anywhere from $10,000 to $15,000 worth of damage,” Thomas said.


Categories: Featured, Local News, News