Former personnel secretary accused of taking kickbacks

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ/AP) – A former Kentucky Personnel Cabinet secretary has been accused of taking more than $200,000 in kickbacks during his time in office.

The U.S. attorney’s office in Lexington said Friday that a criminal complaint unsealed in federal court on Friday accuses Timothy M. Longmeyer of taking kickbacks from a private consulting company.
The FBI calls this the first step in a long process of cleaning up the corruption problem in Kentucky.

The prosecutor’s office said in a news release that the kickbacks were given in exchange for the Democratic appointee’s help in securing multimillion-dollar contracts for the consultant. The release said the consultant was allowed to work with insurance companies that provide health care coverage to state employees.

The release said Longmeyer used his position to persuade the insurance companies to hire the private consultant, and Longmeyer accepted payments from the consultant.

According to the release, Longmeyer received more than $200,000 and various campaign contributions from the consulting company.

Prosecutors don’t believe any of the candidates, whose campaigns got money, knew about the reported kickbacks. Those campaigns have not been named.

The federal investigation started in May 2015 after someone working for the consulting firm alerted authorities. Investigators believe the kickbacks started in 2011 and ended in 2014 when Longmeyer resigned from the cabinet.

He was appointed a deputy in state Attorney General Andy Beshear’s office in December, but Beshear said Friday that Longmeyer resigned this week.

Andy Beshear released the following statement:

“Today I was informed for the first time of a criminal complaint against Tim Longmeyer, who resigned earlier in the week. The allegations deal with his prior employment, and are entirely unrelated to his time in the Attorney General’s Office. My office is fully cooperating with the U.S. Attorney and the FBI, and will continue to do so. To say I am disappointed or even devastated by these allegations is an understatement. Our guiding principal in the AG’s Office has been ‘do the right thing, every time.’ We will continue to follow that principal.”

Longmeyer is scheduled to appear in federal court in April.

Prosecutors believe other people were involved but they have not been named.

Categories: Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *