Former deputy jailer convicted on charges related to death of detainee

LONDON, Ky. – A jury has convicted a former deputy jailer in eastern Kentucky for his role in violently assaulting a pre-trial detainee and willfully failing to provide necessary medical
attention that led to his death.

On Thursday evening, William Curtis Howell, 60, was convicted of using excessive force against the detainee, resulting in bodily injury, and of deliberately ignoring the detainee’s serious medical needs, also resulting in bodily injury. The jury returned the verdict after 90 minutes of deliberation, following four days of trial.

According to the evidence presented at trial, on July 9, 2013, at the Kentucky River Regional Jail in Hazard, Ky., Howell and another supervisory deputy jailer, Damon Wayne Hickman, violently beat Larry Trent, 54, a pretrial detainee, and left him in his cell, seriously injured and bleeding from an open head wound. Trent ultimately died from injuries sustained during the beating. Trent was in custody for a DUI charge. Supervisory Deputy Jailer Hickman, who was initially charged along with defendant Howell, pleaded guilty prior to trial and testified against Howell.

According to evidence, the assault started when Howell and Hickman opened the door to Trent’s cell to remove a sleeping-mat, and Trent ran out of the cell. Howell tased Trent; and after Trent was brought to the floor, Hickman, without justification, violently kicked Trent in the ribs. While deputies carried Trent back to his cell, Trent took the taser from the deputy jailers.  Witnesses testified that after deputies retrieved the taser from Trent and while Trent was restrained on the floor of the detox hallway by deputy jailers, Howell and Hickman, without justification, punched, kicked, and stomped on Trent. Witnesses further testified that, before closing the cell door, Howell stepped into Trent’s cell and kicked Trent in the head while Trent was on the floor and posing no threat.

Further testimony was presented that, after the assault, Trent’s blood was in the detox hallway, booking area and on the deputies involved.  Testimony further revealed that Trent was lying motionless in his cell with blood all over his face. However, Howell and Hickman willfully failed to provide medical attention, because they did not want to get in trouble. Approximately four hours after the beating, another employee at the jail noticed Trent’s lifeless body and emergency personnel were called. Trent was pronounced dead at a local hospital that afternoon.

According to autopsy results presented at trial, Trent died of a fracture to his pelvis that caused hemorrhaging and from blunt force trauma to his head, torso and extremities.

Sentencing for Howell is scheduled for August 16, 2017, in London, Ky. Excessive use of force resulting in bodily injury carries a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment; deliberate indifference resulting in bodily injury carries a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment.

Categories: Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *