FCPS last day May 29; school day extended a half hour
Beginning April 20, 2015, thirty minutes will be added to the end of the school day to meet state requirements of hours and days needed in each school year. The schedule adjustments were necessary because students missed seven days and six hours students missed due to winter weather.
The high school graduation schedules were also set:
- May 29: 4 p.m. – Lafayette High; 7 p.m. – Tates Creek High
- May 30: 10 a.m. – Bryan Station High; 1 p.m. – Henry Clay High; 4 p.m. – Paul Laurence Dunbar High
Below is the notice sent out Monday night by the school district:
Now that spring has finally arrived in the Bluegrass, the Fayette County Public Schools administration feels confident finalizing our plan to make up the instructional time lost to winter weather.
The Fayette County Board of Education voted tonight to add 30 minutes to the end of the school day starting April 20, and make May 29, 2015 the last day of school.
School were closed seven full days and six hours due to delays this winter. Under state law, we are required to attend school for a minimum of 1,062 hours each year and have at least 170 school days.
In order to meet these requirements, we will now be in school on April 10, May 28 and May 29, and add an additional 30 minutes per day beginning April 20, 2015. Although the governor had declared a state of emergency on some of the days we missed, we must still make up every instructional day lost.
The last day of school will be May 29, 2015. High school graduation ceremonies will take place on:
• May 29: 4 p.m. – Lafayette High; 7 p.m. – Tates Creek High
• May 30: 10 a.m. – Bryan Station High; 1 p.m. – Henry Clay High; 4 p.m. – Paul Laurence Dunbar High
Effective April 20 2015, dismissal times for Fayette County Public Schools will be amended as follows:
• 3:05 p.m. dismissal: (elementaries): Academy for Leadership at Millcreek, Arlington, Ashland, Athens-Chilesburg, Booker T. Washington Primary and Intermediate Academy, Breckinridge, Cardinal Valley, Clays Mill, Deep Springs, Dixie, Garden Springs, Glendover, James Lane Allen, Julius Marks, Lansdowne, Liberty, Maxwell, Meadowthorpe, , Picadome, Rosa Parks, Russell Cave, Sandersville, Southern Elementary, Squires, Stonewall, Tates Creek Elementary, Veterans Park, Wellington, William Wells Brown and Yates.
• 3:45 p.m. dismissal: (elementaries): Cassidy, Harrison, Mary Todd and Northern.
• 3:45 p.m. dismissal: (high schools): Bryan Station High, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Paul Laurence Dunbar and Tates Creek High.
• 4:15 p.m. dismissal: (middle school): SCAPA at Bluegrass.
• 4:25 p.m. dismissal: (middle schools): Beaumont, Bryan Station Middle, Crawford, Edythe J. Hayes, Jessie Clark, Leestown, Lexington Traditional Magnet, Morton, Southern Middle, Tates Creek Middle and Winburn.
• Other programs:
o 2:45 p.m. dismissal: Opportunity Middle College.
o 3:05 p.m. dismissal: Carter G. Woodson Academy and STEAM Academy.
o 3:55 p.m. dismissal: The Stables.
o 4:30 p.m. dismissal: Martin Luther King Jr. Academy.
o 4:40 p.m. dismissal: The Learning Center at Linlee.