More “Double Dollars” at KY farmers markets
FRANKFORT, Ky. (WTVQ) – The “Double Dollars” program will expand this year to 25 Kentucky farmers markets and two Fresh Stops Markets in Lexington.
The expansion was announced Tuesday morning, during a celebration and proclamation of Kentucky Farmers Market Week, at the Franklin County Farmers Market.
“Double Dollars” means that families receiving assistance from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Women, Infants and Children (WIC) or the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) are able to double their spending power (up to $10 per day) by shopping at farmers markets.
“Farmers markets using the Double Dollars program see an average increase in sales of 32 percent. And, of course, that increase in sales goes directly into the pockets of Kentucky’s farmers, who then spend that money at local stores and businesses. That’s a direct economic benefit for our farming communities, and the program also helps us address hunger and access to fresh food for Kentucky families,” said Commissioner Quarles.
The Double Dollars program began with just six markets in 2014. Richards said the program has been popular with both farmers markets and with the families using the program.
Surveys of Double Dollars users showed that people using the program felt they were eating a lot more fruits and vegetables and felt more educated about healthy eating.
“You’ve heard of BOGO – buy one, get one — this is BOGO for your health,” said Kelly Munson, senior vice president of WellCare, which has repeatedly contributed to CFA to help administer and promote the Double Dollars program. “We know healthier people not only save money on health care, but are better able to obtain or retain employment. This program helps Kentucky families in the most straightforward way possible – by putting healthy food on the table.”
Double Dollars are available at the following markets:
- Bardstown Road Farmers Market
- Berea Farmers Market Cooperative
- South Points Farmers Market
- Bounty of the Barrens Farmers Market
- Boyle County Farmers Market LLC
- Community Farmers Market Bowling Green
- Cumberland County Farmers Market
- Farmers Market on the Square
- Franklin County Farmers Market
- Gateway Farmers Market (SoKY Marketplace)
- Gray Street Farmers Market
- Jackson County Farmers Market
- Knox County Farmers Market, Inc.
- Magoffin County Farmers Market Association
- Metcalfe County Farmers Market
- Owen County Farm and Craft Market
- Perry County Farmers Market
- Phoenix Hill NuLu Farmers Market
- Winchester/Clark County Farmers Market
- Whitesburg/Letcher County Farmers Market
- Downtown Richmond Farmers Market
- Five Lexington Farmers Market locations
For more information about the Double Dollar Program visit Community Farm Alliance http://cfaky.org/what-we-do/fmsp/