Dole Announces Bagged Salad Recall
Wal-Mart stores in six states because of the possibility of listeria contamination.
No illnesses have been reported. A representative for Dole could not be immediately reached for further comment.
The bagged salads were distributed in Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
The company said that a sample of Wal-Mart Marketside Leafy Romaine salad tested positive for the listeria monocytogenes bacteria in a random sample test done by the state of North Carolina. Listeria contamination is most associated with processed meats and unpasteurized milk and cheese, though there have been a growing number of outbreaks in produce.
Symptoms may include fever, muscle aches, nausea and diarrhea. The illness mostly impacts pregnant women and adults with weakened immune symptoms.
The bagged salads included in the recall are:
– Kroger Fresh Selections Greener Supreme coded N158 211B 1613
KR04 with a use-by date of June 19 and UPC 11110 91039
– Kroger Fresh Selections Leafy Romaine coded N158 111B KR11
with a use-by date of June 19 and UPC 11110 91046
– Wal-Mart Marketside Leafy Romaine coded N158111B with a use-by
date of June19 and UPC code 81131 02781
Product codes and use-by dates can be found in the upper right-hand corner of the package. The UPC code is on the back of the package below the barcode. No other Kroger Fresh Selections or Wal-Mart Marketside products
are included in the recall.
Consumers that have the products included in the recall should dispose of them. Any questions can be directed to Dole’s consumer response center at (80) 356-3111. Dole is also contacting retailers to make sure the bags involved
in the recall are not available for sale.
Last fall there was a listeria outbreak nationwide involving cantaloupes. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in December that 30 people died, 146 people were sickened and one woman suffered a miscarriage.
In April, Dole’s fresh vegetable division recalled 756 cases of bagged salad, because they could be contaminated with salmonella. No illnesses were reported in that incident.