Mixing pool chemicals inside home sends five people to the hospital

It happened Wednesday morning in Berea

BEREA, Ky. (WTVQ) – Five people in Berea have been sent to UK Hospital following a chemical mixture reaction inside of a home.

According to Berea Police, the call came in around 9:20 a.m. Wednesday to a home on Short Line Pike.

Police say a man was inside the home mixing shock tabs and chlorine tabs, which are pool chemicals, when the reaction between the chemicals exploded in his face.

Two adults and three children were taken to the hospital to be treated for chemical exposure, according to police.

Police say the man and the youngest child had the most exposure, but were conscious and talking when they were pulled from the home by the fire department.

The Bluegrass Emergency Response Team and Haz-mat team from the Lexington Fire Department were called-in to help with the incident.

Categories: Featured, Local News, News