Can’t pay your heating costs? This program could help

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ)- The Community Action Council’s Low-Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) Crisis program starts Monday.

The program helps those with a disconnect notice or heating crisis pay their bills.

According to the Community Action Council, last year more than 5,400 participants received help from LIHEAP.

Several factors determine eligibility including income, household size, fuel type, and the following:

  • The household is within four (4) days of running out of fuel, if bulk fuel (coal, fuel oil, propane, kerosene, or wood) is the heat source;
  • The household has received a disconnect notice if natural gas or electric is the heat source; or
  • The household’s home heating costs are included as an undesignated portion of the rent, and the household has received an eviction notice for non-payment of rent from the landlord.

Households must also be at or below 130 percent of federal poverty guidelines as shown in this grid from the Community Action Council:

Household Size Monthly Income
1 $1,316.00
2 $1,784.00
3 $2,252.00
4 $2,720.00
5 $3,188.00
6 $3,656.00
7 $4,124.00
8 $4,592.00
For each additional household member above 8, add $468.00 to the monthly income limit.


According to the Council, applicants must bring the following to apply:

  1. Proof of income for the previous month for all adults 18 and over in the household;
  2. The most recent heating bill with a disconnect notice or an eviction notice and verification from landlord that heating costs are included in rent;
  3. Birth dates of all household members; and
  4. Proof of Social Security Number or Permanent Resident card for each member of the household.

The Council says applicants must schedule an appointment by calling 859-300-6960 or visiting

For more information on LIHEAP assistance, call the Community Action Council:

  • Lexington at (859) 233-4600
  • Paris at (859) 987-5277
  • Cynthiana at (859) 234-2121
  • Carlisle at (859) 289-7172
  • Toll Free at 800-244-2275

If you’re interested in donating to help people stay warm this winter, you can bring a check, money order, or cash to any CAC location. You can also donate on your utility bill.

Categories: Featured, Local News, News