FD: Bryan Station HS evacuated because of nearby gas leak
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ)- Lexington firefighters say Bryan Station High School was evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a reported gas leak nearby. They say crews were doing scheduled work at a home on Eastin Road and were digging a hole when they hit a gas pocket.
Investigators say eight homes in the neighborhood were also evacuated initially. There were no reports of injuries.
Fayette County Public Schools says the high school usually dismisses at 3:25pm. Because buses were already there, the district says students were able to board them early to go home. The middle school was also evacuated, but like the high school got done on time, despite traffic delays getting in to pick kids up.
Officials say Eastin Road and Winston Avenue were shut down. The roads were expected to be closed till around 7pm. The Fire department was working to ventilate the air, building a make-shift PVC pipe. The pipe would help shoot the gas up 20ft into the sky so it could disperse naturally. The Fire Department says it will make regular visits to check up on the situation until all of the natural gas ventilates.
Leave a Reply