Blaze that killed WKU student accidental

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) — Fire officials say a blaze that killed a Western Kentucky University student last month has been ruled accidental.

The Bowling Green Fire Department announced the ruling on Wednesday, and said the most probable cause was discarded smoking materials. The blaze in the off-campus apartment started in an upstairs kitchen trash can.

The blaze killed 20-year-old Tyler English of Louisville, who was a sophomore construction management major.

English had two roommates, who said they tried to get to him, but they weren’t able to get upstairs due to the smoke and fire.

Todd Napier, Bowling Green Fire Department deputy chief of administration, says it would have been impossible for the roommates to get to their friend without protective gear.

Fire department spokeswoman Marlee Boenig says the home had working smoke detectors.

___

Information from: Daily News, http://www.bgdailynews.com

 

©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Categories: News, State News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *