BBB: Watch Out For ‘Storm Chaser’ Repair Scams
The National Weather Service confirmed that seven tornadoes touched down in the region last Tuesday during severe storms.
According to the BBB, out of town ‘storm chasers’ were approaching homeowners about roof repair or replacement, tree removal, gutter repair and auto body work.
Jack Frank, President & CEO of the BBB serving Central & Eastern Kentucky said, "BBB advises people to carefully check out any company that offers them services. Even if your insurance company will pay the cost, you want to make sure that the business that does the work is reputable, competent, and able to address warranty issues if they arise long after the out-of-towners have left.”
Other BBB Tips for Hiring a Company to Repair Storm Damage:
• Get the company’s complete name, address and phone number. Be skeptical of any vague answers, or no offers of contracts, brochures, or anything in writing. Beware of high pressure…a reputable company will let you check them out first.
• Check out local and out-of-state businesses with the Better Business Bureau by logging on to www.bbb.org. Get a list of BBB Accredited Businesses in central and eastern Kentucky by visiting www.bbb.org/lexington or calling the BBB at 1-800-866-6668. If a business says they are BBB Accredited, verify it by calling the BBB or checking our website first.
• Verify that the company has liability and worker’s comp insurance, as well as licensing if required. If a contractor cannot provide proof of it, reconsider.
• If paying costs yourself, get several estimates. Remember, businesses can charge whatever price they like. Get a written contract for work to be done. This helps protect the consumer and the business.
• If it’s an out-of-town or out-of-state company, ask how any warranty issues or problems will be addressed long after work is done and the company is gone.
• NEVER pay the entire amount of the job up front.
Leave a Reply