Adair County: One year later

“It sounded like you were standing behind a big jet plane,” Knifley resident Dewey Giles said.

Around 2 a.m. on Feburary 13th, 2014, a blast rocked the community of Knifley. Witness said debris went flying and flames shot hundreds of feet into the air.

“The rocks in the road were as big as a Volkswagen,” Giles said.

Columbia Gulf Transmission pipeline 200 exploded that night. It is a 30-inch natural gas pipeline which carries gas from the Gulf Coast to the Northeast and Midwest, the pipeline company said.

“It shook the trailer that I lived in,” Giles said. “I felt like the trailer came a foot off the ground.

Giles was one of the first people to call Adair County’s 911, he said.

He recalled the 911 dispatcher asking him where the explosion was. He said he remembers responding, “I don’t know, but I said all you got to do is drive to Knifley, you’ll find it, because it is daylight here.”

I never expected what went on that night,” Director of Aidar County’s Emergency Management said. “That gas line explosion was terrifying to the people around the county”

Now one year later in 2015, it is hard to tell that an explosion ever occurred, at least at first glance.

If you look carefully, burnt trees and telephone poles still sit around where the crater, left by the explosion, once was.

Our crews even found a burnt road sign, that was still laying in the ditch, nearly a year later.

The now empty lot a has some plants and grass starting to grow back, but it’s still evident it will never be the same

“It’s a whole different place than it was,” Giles said. “I grew up around here, and it’s not the same place.”

The line is now fixed and natural gas is now flowing through Line 200 again, but some in the community are left wondering will it ever happen again.

“A gas pipeline explosion was not in our preparedness plan,” Thomas said. “But it is now.”

There are nearly 200 miles of pipeline in Adair County alone. Another pipe sits right next to Line 200 and two others are just down the road.

“It’s scary really to think that you’re living this close and what could happen if all three blew,” Giles said.

“It always makes you think when that phone rings in the middle of the night,” Thomas said. “What could that be?”

Federal authorities estimate the damage to be about $1.8 million.

Columbia Gulf Transmissions, the pipeline’s owner, told ABC 36 News that as of Friday they have settled 90% of the claims from the damage caused on that day in 2014.

The cause of the explosion is still under investigation.

Categories: Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *