Winter furnace prep could have been disaster

Dusty furnace caught fire during maintenance, could have spread

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Getting ready for winter almost became a serious problem Friday afternoon.

Maintenance caused a dusty, soot-filled furnace to catch fire at a home at 544 N. Upper Street just before 4 p.m.

Fortunately the repairman was able to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher. When firefighters arrived they found the fire out but smoke coming from the home.

But much longer and it could have spread not only in one house but also to an adjacent house only a few feet away.

Firefighters were able to clear the smoke and make sure the blaze hadn’t spread. It did cause a traffic headache during rush hour.

Categories: Featured, Local News, News