ONE Lexington report shows decline in youth gun violence, city leaders say
LEXINGTON, Ky. (ABC36 NEWS NOW) — Lexington leaders say new data shows continued progress in reducing gun violence among young people, according to the 2025 ONE Lexington annual report released Tuesday.
In a release, Mayor Linda Gorton said the report highlights a fourth straight year of declining gun violence involving youth and young adults. She noted that Lexington recorded its lowest number of homicides in a decade last year, along with the fewest gunshot victims since 2010.
“The city has reduced community violence by 60% since 2021,” Gorton said in the statement announcing the report.
ONE Lexington Director Devine Carama said the program’s work focuses on addressing the root causes of violence through partnerships with community groups, schools, and local organizations.
“It truly takes a village to address the city’s major issues, and our village here in Lexington is strong,” Carama said in the release. “We are blessed to be in a position to connect and foster so many amazing partnerships.”
The annual report was presented to members of the Urban County Council along with an overview of the program’s ongoing community-based strategies. According to city officials, those efforts include:
• Summer, in-school, and after-school support for more than 500 students — with more than 5,000 total interactions — through the “It Takes a Village” initiative
• Grassroots grants totaling more than $160,000 for partner agencies
• About $280,000 in college and trade scholarships for youth affected by gun violence
• Support services for survivors of gun violence
City leaders say the report reflects continued collaboration between local government and community partners aimed at preventing violence before it happens.
The full ONE Lexington annual report is available by clicking HERE.