Two sentenced for roles in assaults during protest last summer

0
303

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Two men who pleaded guilty to an assault during a racial justice

19-year old Dylan Dempster turned himself-in at Lexington Police Headquarters on 6-4-20. He was a suspect in a protest assault in downtown Lexington on 6-1-20

protest last summer were sentenced Thursday to a year each in jail.

- Advertisement -

Prosecutors had recommended the one-year terms for Kaulbert Wilson and Dylan Dempster.

Dempster admitted he smashed the windshield of a couple’s car with his skateboard at the intersection of Main and Midland in downtown Lexington on June 1 last year.

He said the people in the car were using racial slurs against the crowd and hitting his friends before he smashed the windshield. His attorney urged Judge Thomas Travis to give him less time because he only broke the window.

Wilson admitted he hit a man, jumped on another car and ran from police.

Police said Wilson and two others also pulled the driver and her husband from the car and beat them. She had a swollen eye and her husband suffered a concussion all while their three children were in the car, police said.

A 15-year-old also was charged but his court proceedings aren’t public because of his age.

Dempster had pleaded guilty to second-degree riot and two counts of third-degree criminal mischief.

Wilson pleaded guilty to second-degree riot, fourth-degree assault with no visible injury, second-degree disorderly conduct and two counts of third-degree criminal mischief.