UPDATE: Suspect in fatal motorcyclist shootings to return to NC

0
968
Martin Calvin Cox Jr./Bullitt County Detention Center

Update from May 28, 2021:

WENTWORTH, N.C. (AP) — The suspect in the shooting deaths of two motorcyclists and the wounding of third is headed back to North Carolina.

- Advertisement -

WGHP-TV reports that court documents from Bullitt County, Kentucky, show Martin Calvin Cox Jr., 41, of Browns Summit has agreed to be returned to North Carolina to face murder charges.

The Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office said the shootings occurred on the U.S. Highway 29 bypass in Reidsville on Monday. According to warrants, Cox waited for the victims to leave a gas station and followed them onto the highway before shooting them.

Lt. Kevin Suthard said in a news release that the investigators believe the shots were fired from a red Dodge dually pickup truck, which the sheriff said had been recovered.

Sheriff Sam Page has said the shooting victims were targeted. The three victims were traveling on two motorcycles, according to the sheriff’s office. The sheriff said that at the advice of the district attorney, the identities of the victims won’t be released out of concern for the safety of the surviving victim and the families of those involved.

 

Original story below from May 25, 2021:

WENTWORTH, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina sheriff says a suspect has been arrested in connection with the shooting deaths of two motorcyclists. A third person was wounded in the incident.

Rockingham County Sheriff Sam Page told a news conference Tuesday afternoon that the Bullitt County Sheriff’s Office in Kentucky had taken Martin Calvin Cox Jr. into custody on Tuesday without incident.

The sheriff’s office says the shootings occurred on the U.S. Highway 29 bypass through Reidsville near N.C. Highway 14 on Monday.

Page said investigators believe the victims were targeted by the suspect, but he provided no additional details.

Previous articleState delegation offer differing views of Biden Budget
Next articleDrive-in to summer with the chance to win two cars
mm
Tom Kenny joined ABC 36 News in June of 2001 as a General Assignment Reporter. A native of Peoria, Illinois, he graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications from Western Illinois University. He currently anchors ABC 36 News at 5pm, 6pm and 11pm. Tom has more than three decades of experience in broadcast journalism. He is the only broadcast journalist in Lexington television history to be honored with a national Edward R. Murrow Award. Tom was recognized for reporting on a story that gave a rare glimpse inside the secretive world of the Federal Witness Protection Program. He has won an Emmy Award for anchoring and another for investigative reporting, exposing the deceit and potential danger of online diploma mills. Tom has ten other Emmy nominations to his credit for investigative and feature reporting. He has won Associated Press Awards for reporting and anchoring. He has won two Addy Awards for excellence in promotional writing. Tom was the first broadcast journalist in Lexington TV history to be awarded the Silver Circle Award by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. It is one of the highest honors given by NATAS. It recognizes television professionals who have performed distinguished service within the television industry for 25-years or more. Tom was honored for more than his longevity, he was recognized for making an enduring contribution to the vitality of the television industry and for setting high standards of achievement. He was also recognized for giving back to the community as a mentor, educator and volunteer. Tom also has network broadcast experience in radio and television having worked as a sports reporter for ESPN, Sportschannel, NBC Sports and the Breeders’ Cup. He was also the studio host and halftime producer for CBS Radio Sports’ College Football Game of the Week and covered the NFL for One-On-One Radio Sports. Prior to joining WTVQ-TV, Tom was Vice-President of the Houston Astros Minor League baseball team in Lexington. He was part of the original management team that brought professional baseball back to the Bluegrass after a nearly 50-year absence. Tom has lived in Lexington since 1984. In that time, he has been heavily involved with dozens of charity and civic groups, with a special emphasis on helping Veterans. He can be reached at tkenny@wtvq.com. You can also follow Tom on Facebook www.facebook.com/TomKennyABC and Twitter @TomKennyNews. Just click on the links at the top of the page.