LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) advises motorists District 7 road crews are monitoring the weather forecast closely and patrolling and treating routes in specific counties as necessary.
District 7 includes Anderson, Bourbon, Boyle, Clark, Fayette, Garrard, Jessamine, Madison, Mercer, Montgomery, Scott, and Woodford counties.
Motorists should prepare for possible icy spots on Monday morning. Black ice can form on previously treated asphalt and concrete. Ice develops on bridges, overpasses, and ramps prior to surface level roadways.
Protect yourself in an emergency
Kentucky has a Quick Clearance Law (KRS 189.580) meaning:
If you are involved in a crash –
- if no one is visibly injured, move your vehicle to the shoulder or off of the interstate or parkway
- call the police
- exchange information with the other party
If you have a disabled vehicle –
- move your vehicle off the roadway if possible
- turn on emergency flashers
- to request aid — tie something white or bright to your antenna or window or raise the hood
- if you are unable to move your vehicle from the roadway — stand away from the vehicle
- keep your arms and legs moving to stay warm
To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning if trapped in snow — keep the exhaust pipe clear. Run your vehicle with the windows partially open and use the heat for 10 minutes every hour.
Information about KYTC snow & ice removal efforts: http://snowky.ky.gov
Keep up with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet: