LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – With an expected increase in need between 25 percent and 50 percent this Christmas season, The Salvation Army’s Red Kettle Campaign is in full swing and in need of volunteers and donations.
The number of school and other groups who normally volunteer is down this year, adding to the demand for bell ringers to man kettles or to put together virtual fund-raising teams.
“The Red Kettle Campaign is The Salvation Army’s largest annual fundraiser, and the need has never been greater,” Major William Garrett said. “This campaign raises funds for many of the year-round programs we offer the local community, including our Emergency Shelter, Food and Clothing Bank. During the holiday season, volunteer groups are needed in a variety of ways to help make this campaign a success.”
There are many opportunities to volunteer and/or donate to make a difference:
- Limited in person bell ringing will run through Dec. 24. Interested volunteers can contact Kevin Sparks at Kevin.Sparks@use.salvationarmy.org.
- Red Kettle Days in Fayette, Jessamine and Scott counties will be held from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. Dec. 5 at Fayette Mall (Near PF Chang’s and Outback), Dec. 12 in the Scott County Wal-Mart parking lot and Dec. 19 in the Jessamine County Wal-Mart parking lot. To find out totals raised during these days, send an email email@example.com.
- Drive-through giving opportunities will be held Dec. 5 at South Elkhorn Christian Church 4343 Harrodsburg Road in Lexington and Centenary United Methodist Church 2800 Tates Creek Road in Lexington. Volunteers will be needed to stand at these locations from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- The Winchester Salvation Army is in need of volunteer bell ringers.We have lost multiple schools groups for 2020, so we are asking the community to help out. If your business, church, youth group, or individuals would like to do some ringing, contact Shannon Cox at (859) 437-0135 by phone or text or at firstname.lastname@example.org The Salvation Army will work around your schedule.
- Individuals and teams will be needed for the virtual kettles, which will be even more important this year. Sign-ups can be completed at: https://give.salvationarmy.org/campaign/central-kentucky-2020-virtual-kettle/c303223.