FRANKFORT, Ky. (WTVQ) – A new Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) regional driver licensing office is opening in Richmond. While some services require an in person visit, Kentuckians are encouraged to use mail or drop-in options to renew or apply for standard credentials if they are able:
- Those whose licenses, permits or ID cards were lost or expired or will expire any time from March 1 through Feb. 28, 2021 and who do not require testing may apply for renewal or replacement remotely through the circuit court clerk in their county of residence.
- Check with the clerk as to preferred method, such as drop-off form or mail-in form. The forms can be downloaded here. In addition, check with your circuit clerk or online at drive.ky.gov for updates.
The Richmond location brings to 11 the number of KYTC regional offices newly opened or reopened to handle licensing needs while adhering to Gov. Andy Beshear’s Healthy at Work standards.
The Governor noted that REAL IDs must be applied for in person. Kentuckians can take a short quiz here to see if they need a REAL ID. They are also encouraged to use text alert options at select locations to avoid waiting in line.
In-person services at the new office are limited at this time to the following:
- Issuance of a REAL ID for any resident;
- Replacement of a lost license, permit or identification card;
- Issuance of a license or ID card needed for employment;
- Issuance of a REAL ID or standard license for a new resident replacing a valid out-of-state credential;
- Issuance or renewal of REAL ID or standard licenses for applicants who have successfully completed Kentucky State Police driver testing.
The same services are offered at other KYTC regional driver licensing offices in Paducah, Madisonville, Elizabethtown, Frankfort, Lexington, Morehead, Somerset, Columbia, Jackson and Prestonsburg.
“With the new office in Richmond, we are expanding an important customer service,” KYTC Secretary Jim Gray said. “But we are doing so in a way that protects the health and safety of our customers and our employees. That includes social distancing, wearing face masks and having a sanitized work station for every customer.”
The new Richmond office is at the Richmond Mall, 830 Eastern Bypass. It will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., EDT.
Qualifying applicants may make appointments online at drive.ky.gov. A limited number of workstations will be available to serve walk-ins. To avoid gatherings in common waiting areas after checking in, applicants may be asked to wait in their vehicles and will be individually notified when to return to the issuance office to be served.