Dad saves daughter from fire, now donations needed

0
1214

LAWRENCEBURG, Ky. (WTVQ) – Friday morning a fire destroyed a home in Anderson County, and sent two people in the house to the hospital.

“I rolled over and seen all this smoke and I rolled over and said ‘Jason are you smoking in the house again,’ and I knew he wasn’t because it was too much smoke,” says Claudena Huff, who lives in the house with her son, Jason, her daughter-in-law, Samantha, and her 11-year-old granddaughter Amber.

- Advertisement -

Huff says once she got outside, she yelled for the rest of the family to come out.

“Amber couldn’t get down the stairs,” says Huff. “Jason had to go back and get her. She said, ‘Daddy, I can’t see. I can’t come down.’”

She says it was a scary moment that fortunately came to an end when the pair came out of the house together.

Huff says both are being treated for smoke inhalation, but should be okay.

“We’re alive, and that’s all that counts,” says Huff.

Lawrenceburg Fire Chief Mike Barnes says he thinks the fire was electrical, starting in a room the family was using for “collectables.”

“A lightweight extension cord running underneath carpet, and had a piece of furniture sitting on top of it,” says Barnes.

A bad set up that serves as a good reminder just before the end of Fire Prevention Week on Saturday.

Barnes says the best piece of advice he can give is get a smoke detector. He says the home where Huff and her family lives didn’t have one.

“A lot of fire departments have programs throughout the year where they can donate or even come by and install them for older citizens,” says Barnes.

Now, the focus is on trying to move forward.

Neighbor Amanda Hatfield says she works at Kroger with Jason, and has already started gathering donations to help.

“They’re really good people,” says Hatfield. “They’re really nice neighbors. They would help us if we needed it. I do know that.”

Huff says a teacher at Amber’s school, Anderson County Middle, has donated, along with many people.

“This community is really nice,” says Huff.

The Anderson County Sheriff’s Office says it will be collecting donations Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m.

ORIGINAL STORY BELOW:

LAWRENCEBURG, Ky. (WTVQ) – A father rescues his daughter from an early-morning fire that consumed all their belongings.

And now the community is trying to help by collecting donations for them.

The fire happened at about 3:30 a.m. Friday on Center Street in the center of Lawrenceburg in Anderson County, according to Sheriff Joe Milam, whose deputy is the school resource officer at Anderson Middle School where the 11-year-old girl attends school.

“A local family needs the help of our great community. They lost most of their possessions in a fire early Friday morning. Mom, Dad, and their 11 year old daughter lost their clothes and household items. The Anderson County Sheriff’s Office would like to help this family in their time of need,” the department said in a Facebook post spearheaded by the resource officer.

The sheriff said the mother and father woke up to the fire and got outside. But they realized the daughter was still inside and the father went back in and rescued her from upstairs, the sheriff said of what he had been told.

The family went to the hospital with what he described as non-life-threatening injuries.

“We’ve already had people in the community asking hat they can do to help,” Milam said.

Monetary donations and gift cards can be dropped off at the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office from 7 A.M. until 5 P.M. Monday-Friday. This will allow the family to buy exactly what they need.

“The latest update we’ve received is that the family is still being treated at the hospital, so please keep them in your thoughts and prayers,” the sheriff added.