FRANKFORT, Ky. (WTVQ) – The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Regional Driver Licensing Office in Somerset will reopen for limited services starting Wednesday, July 15.
The opening is part of the state’s efforts to safely reopen essential Executive Branch offices and services that were closed to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Even after the office reopens, people are encouraged to renew or replace credentials remotely. Those whose licenses, permits or ID cards were lost or expired or will expire any time from March 1 through Sept. 30, 2020 and who do not require testing may apply for renewal or replacement remotely through the circuit court clerk in their county of residence.
Check with the clerk as to preferred method, such as drop-off form or mail-in form. The forms can be downloaded here.
Gov. Andy Beshear also reminded Kentuckians that licenses and permits that expired March 18 through July 6, 2020 were automatically extended 90 days beyond the printed expiration date.
In-person services at the KYTC Regional Driver Licensing Office in Somerset are limited at this time to the following:
- Replacement of a lost license, permit or identification card;
- Issuance of a license or ID card needed for employment;
- Issuance of a REAL ID or standard license for a new resident replacing a valid out-of-state credential;
- Issuance of REAL ID or standard licenses for new applicants who have successfully completed Kentucky State Police driver testing;
- Renewal of a credential (or issuance of a REAL ID) with expiration dates of March 18 to July 6, 2020, which were automatically extended for 90 days by emergency order; and
- Issuance of a REAL ID for any resident.
The same services are currently offered at other KYTC regional driver licensing offices in Madisonville, Frankfort, Lexington and Morehead.
The Regional Driver Licensing Office in Somerset is at 650 North Main Street, Suite 240. It will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. EDT.
Qualifying applicants may make appointments online at drive.ky.gov. A limited number of workstations will be available to serve walk-ins. To avoid gatherings in common waiting areas after checking in, applicants may be asked to wait in their vehicles and will be individually notified when to return to the issuance office to be served.
To maintain the safest possible environment, employees of the KYTC Somerset regional office will adhere to Healthy at Work standards, which include wearing a mask, and customers will be required to do the same.
Social distancing will be observed. Surfaces will be cleaned and touch pad equipment sanitized after each use. The complete list of Healthy at Work requirements can be found here Healthy at Work.