UPDATE: Coroner identifies the couple killed in house explosion


UPDATE (4:09 p.m.): The Wolfe County Coroner’s office has released the names of the two people who died in the house fire.

The office says the victims are 52-year-old Phillip Vanderpool and 48-year-old Sueann Vanderpool.

- Advertisement -

The couple killed in the blast had come over to the house to see what was causing the gas smell.

The coroner identifies the husband and wife as the son and daughter in law of the couple injured in the blast who lived in the now destroyed home.

Two calls were made on Saturday from the home about the gas smell to 911 according to dispatchers.

Dispatchers say the house the exploded shortly after the second call.

According to the Wolfe County Emergency Management’s Facebook page, a gas company made repairs to a line on Monday.

A cause hasn’t been released.

UPDATE: The explosion injured four people and left two people in the home unaccounted for as of Saturday night, but the house was too dangerous for crews to go in and look. The search continued around 8 a.m. Sunday morning and both bodies were found in the basement of the house.

Sergeant Bret Kirkland said in all the years he’s been working for state police, this is the first time he’s ever seen something like this in the area.

“We hate the situation and we feel for the family members. We’re just happy that with all the debris, all the water, all the damage to the house that we could find the bodies in the house,” Kirkland said.

Sergeant Kirkland said investigators believe the cause is gas related and they are looking at nearby gas lines.

He wants to warn people that if you smell gas inside your home, report it and leave immediately.

WOLFE COUNTY, Ky. (WTVQ) – Officials are investigating a house explosion that sent four people to the hospital.

The explosion happened on Harvest Church Loop Road in Wolfe County around 3:30 Saturday afternoon.

The Wolfe County Coroner Frank Porter said he was called out to the scene because two people were unaccounted for. The house was too dangerous for crews to enter, so there is no confirmed deaths, but the two have not been located.

Officials believe the explosion was gas related.

Then the house was engulfed in flames, officials said.

Crews were called off for the night around 9 p.m. when it was determined the house couldn’t be entered.

The investigation is scheduled to resume Sunday morning.