LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Fayette County Public Schools announced it’s making changes to improve security at school athletic events starting this week.
The changes come after a scare during a football game between Frederick Douglass and Bryan Station high school last month. School officials say minor students who were unaccompanied yelled someone had a gun, causing a panic. There was no gun, according to officials.
“This incident provided the perfect opportunity for high school principals across our district to come together and examine existing practices in order to look for ways to enhance safety during athletic events,” Fayette County Public Schools said in a press release Thursday.
The district says that led the six high schools to agree to the following changes:
* Kick off times at football games will move from 7:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
* Students will not be allowed to bring backpacks and/or large bags into evening high school athletic events
* School officials can search bags carried by adults
* Students younger than high school age must be accompanied by an adult to the games
* Outside food or drinks will not be allowed at the games