LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ)- Hours before kickoff, parents of students at Frederick Douglass High School in Lexington received an email detailing safety changes at athletic events.
The changes come a week after a shooting scare at the first Douglass football game of the year.
According to Principal Lester Diaz, students who are not of high school age must now be accompanied by an adult at games.
When someone leaves the event, they won’t be allowed back in.
Diaz also says backpacks and outside food will no longer be allowed at athletic events.
There will be more police at games too and, effective just hours after the email was sent, the start times of all city games will be moved up. Diaz says you can find new start times on schools’ websites.
Fayette County Schools Spokeswoman Lisa Deffendall says right now, these changes just apply to Frederick Douglass. They are not district wide.
Last week, panic erupted during the Broncos’ first game of the season against Bryan Station.
The school says a middle school student in the stands shouted someone had a gun, which caused widespread panic.
Fans ran from the stands in a panic. Some took cover by laying down in the bleachers. The players laid flat on the ground to become less of a potential target.
Full letter from Frederick Douglass Principal Lester Diaz:
“In an effort to maintain open lines of communication between home and school, here is an important message from Fayette County Public Schools.
The safety of our families and our students at athletic events is something that we will not compromise. Effective immediately, at Frederick Douglass High School, students who are not of high school age must be accompanied by an adult. In addition, once a person has left the event re-entry will not be permitted. Furthermore, backpacks and outside food will no longer be allowed at any athletic event.
Beginning with this evening’s football game versus Tates Creek High School, we will have an increased law enforcement presence. Additionally, starting this evening, the start times of all city games will be moved up. Please consult our school website for the start times of all athletic events.
SAFETY CHANGES: Frederick Douglass parents received this email tonight. It lists safety changes for athletic events, effective immediately…after last Friday’s football game shooting scare. The district says this isn’t district wide. The changes are just for Douglass. pic.twitter.com/QB3lpsPPSm
— VeronicaJean Seltzer (@VJS_ABC36) August 30, 2019