LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – The Lexington Fire Department says six people had to be treated by emergency personnel for a hazmat situation at the Amazon fulfillment center in Lexington.
Firefighters were called Friday morning to the warehouse on Mercer Road to a report of a chemical smell.
The fire department says six people were treated for burning eyes and itchy throats. Five were treated at the scene, one was taken to the hospital for treatment.
A full hazmat crew was called to the scene and removed what Battalion Chief Jordan Saas says was a leaky, returned package.
Upon investigation, it was revealed the commercial size box had a dry powder that got mixed with an incompatible liquid producing a vapor.
All 500 employees were evacuated from the building.
City buses arrived at the scene to take all the employees to another Amazon location.
Environmental contractors are properly disposing of the box.