LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Lexington is under an extreme heat alert.
The city activated its Phase 3 Heat Alert on Thursday. It will remain in effect until Sunday, July 21.
One mom that was at the Southland Aquatic Center said she makes sure to bring water with them everywhere.
“We like to have a whole lot of water on us, they like Gatorade but I make sure it’s a lot of water. Sunscreen is very very important. We’re actually parked in the shade right now with our towels so you know we love the heat we love the sun as long as there is water but you know we make sure to keep them hydrated,” Rebecca Yates said.
Some things you should know under the Phase 3 Heat Alert:
* Lexington Parks and Recreation will offer half-price pool admission
* Lextran will provide free rides to shelters and cooling centers
* The Dunbar Community Center, 545 N. Upper Street, will open as a cooling center
* The Lexington Senior Center, 195 Life Lane, will open as a cooling center
* Additional facilities will open if there is sufficient demand for additional neighborhood cooling centers.
* The Hope Center HopeMobile will be distributing water, sunscreen, and other supplies to the city’s homeless
Anyone needing assistance can dial 2-1-1, text their zip code to 898211, or visit the United Way of the Bluegrass website for locations of shelters and other resources in Lexington and surrounding counties.