MANCHESTER, Ky. (WTVQ)- Problem after problem kept firefighters in Manchester from being able to save a McDonald’s on Muddy Gap Road.
The fire department says it was dispatched just before 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning.
Before firefighters arrived, police tried to put out a grease fire using extinguishers, but firefighters say the restaurant’s system to extinguish fires didn’t activate so when firefighters arrived they tried using foam to put out the fire, but didn’t realize it was already in the ceiling.
The ceiling began falling in and firefighters had to leave the building for safety.
Outside, they tried to knock down the flames using a nearby hydrant, but their main water line broke, shutting down everything for a few minutes, which only allowed the fire to grow.
Firefighters say the store owner told them he expected to be building a new store and would have a new McDonald’s running in several months.
The owner did reach out to us and said employees will work at other locations for now.