17-year-old Lexington girl dies in Clark Co. crash
WINCHESTER, Ky. (WTVQ) — A Lexington teenager died Tuesday night after a single-vehicle car crash in Clark County.
According to Clark County Coroner Neal Oliver, Kaylee Goodman died in the crash on Athens Boonesboro Road after veering off the road and hitting a tree.
She was 17.
Goodman was also a student at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School.
Acting Principal Andrea Tinsley sent the following letter to families:
“Dear PLD Families:
I am deeply saddened to inform you that we have suffered a devastating loss within our PLD community. Last night, Kaylee Goodman, a senior at Dunbar, passed away in a tragic accident. Kaylee was known for her kindness and her ability to connect with others, and her absence will be deeply felt by her teachers, friends, and classmates.
It is possible that your child has already heard about this heartbreaking news today, but we wanted to communicate with all families so that you have the opportunity to discuss it with your child at home. We encourage you to ask them about their feelings and emotions and to openly share your own as well. Some children may be particularly upset and need more support. It is normal for reactions to be intense initially, but they usually diminish over time. The most important thing you can do is listen attentively, provide reassurance, and offer comfort.
Please look for changes in behavior that may signal that your child needs additional grief support. If you feel your child needs any help or resources, please talk to our counselors or your healthcare provider so we can work together to support your child. See below for a list of crisis and mental health resources:
Mental Health Crisis Resources
- The Ridge Behavioral Health Systems 800-753-4673
- Samaritan Hospital 859-226-7000
- U of L Peace Hospital (formerly known as Our Lady of Peace) 859-313-3515
- New Vista 24-Hour Crisis Line (formerly Bluegrass.org) 800-928-8000
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8500
- Suicide Crisis Textline Text Help to 741741
- FCPS Mental Health Resource Page
- Mental Health Resource Library
- FCPS Emotional Support & Self-Care Resources
Community Mental Health Resources
- KVC Behavioral Health Kentucky 859-254-1035
- Mountain Comprehensive Care 859-368-8897
- New Vista (formerly Bluegrass.org) 859-233-0444
- The Ridge Behavioral Health Systems 859-269-2325
- Sunrise Children’s Services 859-455-8185
Please reach out to me personally if you have any questions or concerns, or if our team can offer any additional support and encouragement for your student.
Let us come together as a community, supporting one another during this time of immense grief. Our hearts go out to Kaylee’s family and friends and all those affected by this tragedy.
Paul Laurence Dunbar High School”