13 collection sites help city recycle Christmas lights during next two months
Collection bins set up at 13 sites across city
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – ‘Tis the season to recycle right. As you get out your holiday decorations, chances are that you will find lights that have seen brighter days. Lexington’s Department of Environmental Quality and Public Works is partnering with businesses across the community to host its fourth annual holiday lights collection drive. Last year’s drive generated a record-setting 2,449 pounds of lights and other small electronics for recycling.
“This program has been enormously successful year after year,” says Environmental Quality and Public Works Commissioner Nancy Albright. “The drive helps illuminate the importance of recycling right while keeping unwanted items out of the Recycle Center.”
Residents can drop off broken or unwanted holiday lights, including string lights, rope lights and electric candles at collection sites throughout the city. You can also drop off extension cords, timers, light sensors, power strips and other small electronics.
Electronics, including holiday lights, should never go in recycling carts or recycling dumpsters. They cause damage to equipment at the Recycle Center and put employees at risk.
Collection bins will be at the following locations from Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2021, through Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022:
- A Cup of Common Wealth – 105 Eastern Ave.
- Cabela’s – 1510 Conservation Way
- Chocolate Holler – 400 Old Vine St.
- Crank & Boom – 1210 Manchester St. and 3101 Clays Mill Road #301
- Good Foods Co-op – 455 Southland Dr.
- Government Center – 200 E. Main St.
- Johns Run/Walk – 317 S. Ashland Ave. and 3735 Palomar Centre Dr.
- Lexington Senior Center – 195 Life Lane
- Most Valuable Pets – 921 Beaumont Centre Pkwy #100
- Pet Supplies Plus – 4101 Tates Creek Center Drive
- Pivot Brewing – 1400 Delaware Avenue
- West Sixth Brewery – 501 W Sixth St.
- Wild Birds Unlimited – 152 N Locust Hill Dr.
Lights can also be taken directly to the Electronics Recycling Center, located at 1306 Versailles Road. Visit LexingtonKY.gov/eWaste for hours of operation. This facility operates six-days a week, year-round.
Collection sites are still being added. For an up-to-date list, visit LexingtonKY.gov/Lights or follow @LiveGreenLex on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.