Smoke alarm saves family from fire; truck goes up in flames

0
557
Source: Corbin Fire Department/Facebook

CORBIN, Ky. (WTVQ) – The Corbin Fire Department had a busy Thursday after a smoke alarm saved a family and a driver escaped a vehicle fire.

According to the Corbin Fire Department, a dryer fire happened around 9:25 a.m. on Hawe Street. The family was asleep, but their smoke alarm woke them up. The home’s owner tried to extinguish the fire, but crews arrived and took the dryer outside to extinguish the fire and prevent further damage.

- Advertisement -
Source: Corbin Fire Department/Facebook

The dryer was the only property loss and the home had moderate smoke damage.

There were no injuries in the incident. The home’s owner credits the fire alarm for saving them.

Later that evening, a Chevrolet Astro van caught on fire around 6:30 p.m on Highway 25 East and Commonwealth Avenue.

Source: Corbin Fire Department/Facebook

The fire department said the van’s driver smelled smoke, the vehicle got hot and fire came out from under the dashboard. Responders got to the scene and extinguished the fire.

The fire started in the engine compartment, but no cause is known yet.

The driver got out of the vehicle in time, so there were no injuries.