LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ/UK Public Affairs) — Move-in begins in earnest this weekend at the University of Kentucky campus and with appointments required, coronavirus safety rules in place and a variety of other changes, it’s likely to be very different.
With that in mind, the following email was sent to all faculty, staff and students earlier this week:
Safety is always a priority at the University of Kentucky — for our students and for all those who work here and call this special community their home.
In the next few weeks, thousands of new students will be transitioning to campus at a time when safety and health protocols are our top priorities for students. In an effort to promote social distancing, UK has scheduled move-in over nine days.
UK Police will be out in full force to assist with Move-In. We urge everyone to be patient and to travel safely.
University of Kentucky Move-In is an exciting time for our campus community and an important time to begin fostering student success — The UK Fall Move-In webpage provides details.
Move-In — combined with current construction occurring on campus — will impact parking and transportation routes throughout the campus at various times. Among the more than 7,000 students moving to campus housing, we are expecting over 700 students each day to move in on the following nine days, August 8–16.
We thank you in advance for your patience and help during this process. Below is information regarding traffic flow and parking impacts over the Move-In period, including important information about one-way streets, no parking areas, and high traffic locations. Area drivers are encouraged to use the WAZE app for traffic updates.
We encourage all faculty and staff to plan for potential delays.
ONE-WAY STREETS: (see map)
Effective 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Saturday, August 8 through Sunday, August, 16
- One-way southbound: MLK Blvd. between Good Samaritan parking lot and Avenue of Champions
- One-way eastbound: Huguelet Dr. between University Dr. and Rose St.
- One-way southbound: Sports Center Drive between Woodland Ave. and the Employee (E) lot north of the Nutter Football Training Facility.
- Pedestrian Walkway in front of Woodland Glen V: One-way eastbound
NO PARKING AREAS:
Effective August 8–16
Due to the need to quickly unload vehicles near residence halls, several areas of campus will be NO PARKING zones from 12:01 a.m. to 6 p.m. on each of the Move-In days. Additionally, several streets on and bordering campus will have closures or other changes to traffic flow to accommodate Move-In. Watch for NO PARKING signs and bagged meters in these areas. Vehicles parked in the NO PARKING areas listed below will be TOWED. Owners will be responsible for all tow-related charges. If your vehicle is towed, contact 859-257-1616. Saturday, August 8 through Sunday, August 16
- UNIVERSITY DRIVE (One SIDE): North side from Cooper Drive to Hilltop Avenue
- SPORTS CENTER DRIVE (BOTH SIDES): between Woodland Ave. and the Employee (E) lot north of the Nutter Football Training Facility
- AVENUE OF CHAMPIONS between MLK and Limestone. Includes parking in front of Roselle and Holmes
- MARTIN LUTHER KING BLVD. (BOTH SIDES): between Maxwell Street and Avenue of Champions
- LEXINGTON AVE. (BOTH SIDES): area between the Employee (E) lot entrance and Avenue of Champions
- WOODLAND AVE. (BOTH SIDES): between Hilltop Ave. and Sports Center Dr.
- PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY in front of Woodland Glen V (BOTH SIDES): from Woodland Ave. to Sports Center Drive
- HILLTOP AVE (BOTH SIDES): from the Rose Street Garage (PS #2) to Woodland Avenue
- HUGUELET Ave: (BOTH SIDES): from University Drive to the Jacobs Science Bldg.
MOVE-IN PARKING AREAS: (see map) Students and parents participating in Move-In will be permitted to park in the following designated parking areas on the nine Move-In dates listed above:
Blazer, Boyd, Holmes, Jewell: Cornerstone Garage (Parking Structure 5) enter off of Upper Street
Donovan, Haggin, Johnson: Rose Street Garage (Parking Structure 2) – enter off of Hilltop. Please park on the third floor and up.
Ball and Chellgren: Surface lot across from Ball Hall on Woodland Avenue
Baldwin, Ingels, Smith, Woodland III-IV: Surface lots on Sports Center, Sports Center Garage (Parking Structure #7) and Green Lot @ Kroger Field
University Flats and Lewis: Library surface lot across from The 90
For more information, visit the UK Fall Move-In webpage. Please share this information with colleagues, delivery drivers or any other visitors to campus you expect during the next week.