FRANKFORT, Ky. (WTVQ) – Governor Andy Beshear announced on Monday that he is cancelling and rebidding the state’s Medicaid managed care contracts.
Last week he ended the battle over a controversial Medicaid requirement put into place by former Governor Matt Bevin.
Beshear says if he didn’t do it nearly 100,000 Kentuckians could have lost their health care coverage.
“I believe health care is a basic human right and that every family should be able to see a doctor when they are sick,” Gov. Beshear said. “Given the way the previous administration handled this process and lasting public concerns, the only option I had was to cancel the contracts and rebid. Moving forward we must ensure a fair and transparent process and meet every Kentuckians’ health care needs.”
Officials say the actions include:
- The original request for proposal (RFP) included the previous administration’s Medicaid waiver, which was ended last week by Gov. Beshear.
- The previous administration awarded nearly $8 billion in contracts to five providers with just 11 days left in office.
- Public comments by the previous governor and concerns regarding bias against one of the bidders.
- Members of the General Assembly’s Government Contract Review Committee unanimously voted to reject the contracts, Dec. 9, the final day of the previous administration.
According to Governor Beshear an RFP will be issued with a target date of Jan. 10 or earlier.
Through a competitively bid process the administration has a goal of selecting providers in the spring, according to the governor’s office.
In the meantime, the contracts that are currently in place will remain in effect so no one loses coverage, according to the governor.