LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet says it wants residents to stay safe in these winter conditions.
It issued the following advice:
Protect yourself in an emergency
Kentucky has a Quick Clearance Law, meaning if you are involved in a crash:
- if no one is visibly injured, move your vehicle to the shoulder or off of the interstate or parkway
- call the police
- exchange information with the other party
If you have a disabled vehicle:
- move your vehicle off the roadway if possible
- turn on emergency flashers
- to request aid, tie something white or bright to your antenna or window or raise the hood
- if you are unable to move your vehicle from the roadway, stand away from the vehicle
- keep your arms and legs moving to stay warm
To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning if trapped in snow, keep the exhaust pipe clear. Run your vehicle with the windows partially open and use the heat for 10 minutes every hour.