Nicholasville family escapes house fire

0

NICHOLASVILLE, Ky. (WTVQ) – Firefighters say a family of five is safe, after they woke up to their house on fire early Thursday morning.

According to firefighters, they were called to a duplex on Birch Drive just after 3:00 a.m.

- Advertisement -

They say a recycle bin caught fire and extended out to the roof, and attic of the home.

Firefighters say there were five people inside the home when the fire ignited.

They say the occupants inside the home were not alerted by their smoke detectors because they were not working.



Crews say the cause of the fire was discarded ashes from a fire pit inside the recycle bin.

According to Nicholasville Fire Battalion Chief Marty Kazsuk, people should always check their smoke detectors, and to never leave ashes inside recycle bins.

” Number one, please don’t discard your ashes in your herby curby,” said Kazsuk.” Two, always make sure your smoke detectors are working.