Charging battery may be to blame for small fire at school

0
Picture where a charging battery in a computer lab caught fire at Shelton Clark High School in Martin County 1-4-19. No one was hurt. Photo courtesy of Inez Fire Rescue

INEZ, Ky. (WTVQ) – A small fire Friday morning led to the evacuation of Sheldon Clark High School in Martin County.

Investigators say it appears a charging battery in a computer lab caught fire.  The room was empty at the time.

- Advertisement -

Firefighters say staff members put the fire out with an extinguisher before they arrived.  No one was hurt.

Investigators say even though the fire was small, it did put out a lot of smoke, which had to be cleared from the building.

Students and staff were safely evacuated as soon as the fire was discovered.  Firefighters say the school’s emergency plan was followed and the evacuation happened in a timely manner.



Students, faculty and staff were allowed back into the building to finish the school day after the building was cleared.

*Note:  The photo from the scene that accompanies this story is courtesy of Inez Fire Rescue.