UPDATE: Yoder the police horse recovering at home


UPDATE: (12/06/18)

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ)- Lexington Police say Yoder is finally back at home and is recovering well.

- Advertisement -

Lexington Police thanks everyone for the support of Yoder and Officer Davis on the Lexington Police Department’s Facebook page.

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ)- Dozens of people watched anxiously Tuesday night as crews worked to free a police horse who got stuck in a hole. We are happy to report 17-year-old Yoder is doing well at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital.

He has been at the hospital less than 24 hours, but already it seems as if everyone here knows him.

“He has been enjoying the attention that he’s gotten,” Officer Shawn Davis, Yoder’s rider, said.

It seems as if almost everyone in town knows him.

“I wish it were on different circumstances,” Officer Davis said.

A crowd gathered Tuesday night. People held their breath, waiting to learn Yoder’s fate.

As the mounted unit walked to join the Christmas parade his hoof got stuck in a hydrant valve.

“We knew we had to react or keep him calm or he wouldn’t survive the incident,” Davis said.

Dr. Julie Suarez lives just blocks away.

She was the first of three vets to arrive as the fire department drilled, trying to free Yoder.

She says she couldn’t see much of his leg because about 18 inches of it was stuck in the hole.

“The things that they’re capable of dealing with and being surrounded by while still having their wits about them is very impressive,” Suarez said.

Dr. Colton Thacker rode with Yoder in the ambulance.

He credits Yoder’s mounted unit training for keeping him alive.

“If you would put any other horse in that situation i’m not sure you’d have the outcome we do now,” Thacker said.

At Rood & Riddle, Yoder’s been on an IV.

X-rays showed he didn’t break a thing.

“A tribute to all the individuals that were taking care of him on site as well as a tribute to the horse,” Dr. Brett Woodie, an equine surgeon, said.

Officer Davis says the support from the community has been overwhelming.

“A lot of people were talking to God, praying for a horse,” Davis said.

He says he’s relieved and grateful for teamwork with the vets and fire department.

Doctors say Yoder could go home tomorrow and might be feeling like himself again in a week or two.

“He’s going to get a little time off and we’ll train him back up to it. Don’t know that we’ll go down Sixth Street anytime soon, but yes, we’re looking forward to getting back out there,” Davis said.

Kentucky American Water says it looks over more than 8,000 hydrants.

It says it tries to service them regularly and this one was last checked out over the summer.

Some people who live nearby tell us the cap on this valve has been missing for months, and someone should have fixed it before this ever happened.

“We’re not sure who would’ve removed the lid. I know that sometimes, unfortunately, some metals are removed for scrapping,” Susan Lancho with Kentucky American Water said.

Lancho says she don’t know if scrapping was to blame here, but Kentucky American Water says it can’t have eyes everywhere so it asks people to call if something looks off. 1-800-678-6301